Editorials

Mid-Day Recap Of Headlines That Made The Rounds In Nigeria

STAY GLUED FOR MORE NEWS UPDATES


20th February 2026 02:39 PM

FG— WE’LL REVIEW SHEA BUTTER BAN

The Federal Government of Nigeria has assured Shea nut stakeholders that it would review the export ban, citing concerns over its impact on local producers, exporters and foreign exchange earnings.

Minister of Industry Trade and Investment, Jumoke Oduwole gave the assurance at a Stakeholders` Validation Session on Raw Shea Nut Ban in Nigeria, in Abuja.

Recall that the Federal Government announced a six-month temporary ban on the export of raw shea nuts on Aug. 26, 2025.

The ban was implemented to boost local processing, encourage value addition and prevent the export of raw materials, aimed at turning Nigeria from a raw material supplier to a global hub for refined Shea products.

Oduwole said that the ministry would brief President Bola Tinubu objectively after consultations with stakeholders across Nigeria’s Shea value chain.

She said that the objective assessment would guide a decision on whether the ban on Shea nut exports should be extended immediately or deferred.

According to her, the government recognises the right of citizens to earn a living and contribute to national development adding that all inputs would be carefully reviewed and consolidated.

=============================

COURT ADJOURNS TRIAL OF FORMER ATTORNEY GENERAL OF NIGERIA MALAMI

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Friday, adjourned the trial of former Attorney-General of the Federation, AGF, and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, and his son, Abdulaziz, until February 27, 2026.

The case, filed by the Department of State Services, DSS, against Malami and son, was adjourned by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, following a public holiday declared by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Nwike, ahead of the area council’s election scheduled for tomorrow.

A check by reporters at Court 6 on the 3rd floor of the high-rise building at about 9am showed that very few of the court workers were around while there was no lawyer or litigant in court, including Malami and Abdulaziz.

It was, however, gathered that some of the lawyers and litigants who came to the court were turned back due to the work-free day declared by the minister.

The DSS had, on February 3, arraigned the ex-AGF and his son on a five-count charge bordering on terrorism and illegal firearms possession.

In the charge, Malami is also accused of refusing to prosecute suspected terrorism financiers, whose case files were handed to him while he served as the AGF and Minister of Justice.

Malami and Abdulaziz are, equally accused of warehousing firearms in their residence at Gesse Phase II Area, Birain Kebbi LGA, Kebbi State without lawful authority.

The duo, however, pleaded not guilty when the counts were read to them.

Shortly after they pleaded to the charge, prosecuting lawyer, Calistus Eze prayed the court to order their remand in the custody of the DSS and fix a date for the commencement of trial.

Meanwhile, defence lawyer, Shuaibu Aruwan, applied orally for bail for the defendants, arguing that his clients had been in DSS’ custody for over two weeks.

===========================

NAFDAC SEALS 18 WAREHOUSES OVER EXPIRED PRODUCTS IN NIGER STATE

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC has sealed 18 warehouses in Bida, Niger State, after discovering expired food and beverage products valued at over ₦100 million.

In a statement shared on X, the agency on Thursday said the operation, carried out by its Investigation and Enforcement Directorate, was based on credible intelligence.

The statement revealed that Warehouse managers were arrested for interrogation, with preliminary findings linking the facilities to BY Ventures, the statement read.

Subsequent inspections at the company’s supermarkets in Minna uncovered additional expired products and suspected counterfeit Goya cooking oil.

The agency also highlighted the scale of the seizure, just as NAFDAC warned Nigerians about the dangers of consuming expired products.

NAFDAC therefore reaffirmed its commitment to public safety, emphasising that it will continue to monitor markets and warehouses to ensure that only safe and quality products are available to Nigerians.

===================

FRSC URGES MOTORISTS TO AVOID FATIGUE, OBSERVE BREAKS FOR PERIOD OF FASTING 

The Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, has on Friday, urged motorists who are participating in the fasting periods, to ensure that they take rest at intervals, to avoid road crashes.

FRSC Commander in-charge of the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway corridor, Nasir Mohammed, gave the advice in an interview with reporters in Ota.

He noted that the advice had become expedient following the commencement of fasting periods by both Christian and Muslim faithfuls.

Mohammed urged motorists to be cautious of fatigue and possible dehydration during the fasting periods, and ensure that they take hours of rest before returning to the steering.

He also warned motorists against over speeding and wrongful overtaking, which could lead to tragedy, adding that drivers must strictly adhere to all safety rules while on the road.

Recall that Catholic faithfuls had commenced lenten season with the distribution of Ash on Wednesday, which period is marked by 40 days fasting.

In the same vein, Muslim faithfuls had also began observation of Ramadan in the Islamic calendar, which period is also marked by fasting.

========================================

POLICE UNCOVER SUSPECTS` ARMOURY, RECOVER WEAPONS IN DELTA STATE

The Police Command in Enugu State has detained 15 suspects found with a gun and weeds suspected to marijuana sativa.

In a statement on Friday in Enugu, the Command’s Spokesman, Daniel Ndukwe, said that the suspects’ arrest followed a raid by operatives of the command’s Crack Tactical Squad on some hot spots on Feb. 16.

Ndukwe disclosed that the operatives acted on credible intelligence and raided identified criminal hot spots at Four Corner area of Ozalla Community in Nkanu West Local Government Area.

In a different development, the Police Command in Delta State has recovered assorted weapons from a criminal hideout in the state.

Spokesman for the command, SP Bright Edafe, disclosed this to reporters on Friday in Warri.

Edafe said that the weapons were recovered on Thursday by the operatives of the Command’s Special Assignment Team, CP-SAT, led by Julius Robinson.

He said that the feat was achieved following a confession by a suspect handed over to the police team by the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) Orerokpe Division for further interrogation.

Edafe said that the suspect was alleged to be a member of a criminal syndicate terrorising commuters and residents on the Warri/Sapele Road.

===========================

INEC, SECURITY AGENCIES SHOW READINESS FOR KANO STATE ASSEMBLY BY-ELECTIONS ON SATURDAY

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and security agencies in Kano State have declared full readiness for the by-elections scheduled to hold on Saturday in Kano Municipal and Ungogo Local Government State Constituencies.

Police Commissioner in Kano State, Ibrahim Adamu, announced that a joint security arrangement had been put in place to guarantee a peaceful and credible exercise.

He explained that adequate personnel had been deployed to the polling units, collation centres, and other critical points to prevent the breakdown of law and order.

According to him, movements would be restricted in Kano Municipal and Ungogo LGAs from 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on the election day to ensure the smooth conduct of the electoral process.

The INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, Amb. Abdu Zango, commended the security agencies for their collaboration and confirmed the deployment of all the required electoral materials.

==================

RMAFC— PRESIDENT TINUBU’S EXECUTIVE ORDER WILL CURB LEAKAGES, BOOST FEDERATION ACCOUNT INFLOWS

The Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission has said President Bola Tinubu’s recent Executive Order on the direct remittance of oil and gas revenues will strengthen inflows into the Federation Account and curb long-standing leakages.

The Commission, in a statement issued on Friday by its Chairman, Dr Mohammed Shehu, commended the President for what it described as a decisive intervention in the management of oil and gas revenues.

Shehu said the Executive Order directing the direct remittance of oil and gas revenues to the Federation Account was “a bold, constitutionally grounded, and fiscally transformative intervention aimed at restoring transparency, eliminating revenue leakages, and strengthening the revenue base of the three tiers of government.”

According to the statement, the Executive Order was signed pursuant to Section 5 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, and anchored on Section 44(3), which vests ownership, control and derivative rights in all minerals, mineral oils and natural gas in the Government of the Federation for the collective benefit of Nigerians.

The Commission noted that, prior to the order, certain structural and legal provisions in the Petroleum Industry Act created channels through which substantial Federation revenues were subject to multiple deductions.

===========================

FIRE GUTS DAKATA MARKET IN KANO STATE

An early morning fire outbreak has engulfed the Fatima Simra Multi-Purpose Market in Dakata Quarters, Nasarawa Local Government Area of Kano State.

The incident comes barely a week after an inferno at the popular Singer Market destroyed goods worth several millions of naira.

The latest fire, which reportedly started in the early hours of Friday, razed several shops, mainly occupied by small-scale businesses engaged in oil production and the recycling of plastics and nylon.

When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of the Kano State Fire Service, Saminu Abdullahi, confirmed the incident, stating that firefighters were still battling to contain the blaze.

Recall that in February 2026, two separate fire outbreaks were recorded at Singer Market, resulting in significant losses estimated at billions of naira.

During a sympathy visit to the market, Governor Abba Yusuf donated N100 million to affected traders.

Similarly, the Federal Government and the Progressive Governors Forum donated N8 billion to support victims and cushion the impact of the losses.

========================

REPORT- PRESIDENT TRUMP CONSIDERS LIMITED STRIKE ON IRAN TO PRESS NUCLEAR DEAL

The President of United States, Donald Trump, is weighing an initial limited military strike on Iran, aimed at pressuring Tehran into accepting a nuclear deal, local media reports.

According to Local Reports, if authorised, the strike could come within days, targeting a few military or government sites, said the report.

The report added that if Iran still refused to comply with the U.S. nuclear demand, the Trump administration would respond with a broad campaign against Iranian government facilities, potentially aimed at toppling the Tehran regime.

Recall that President Trump told reporters that Iran has 10 to 15 days to reach a deal over its nuclear program, warning that otherwise really bad things would happen to the country, just as he refused to answer what the goal of a potential U.S. military strike.

A Trump adviser has estimated a “90 per cent chance” of strikes within weeks if talks fail, Axios reported Wednesday, noting the U.S. raid could involve a large-scale, weeks-long campaign, potentially conducted jointly with Israel.

======================

SRI LANKA DRAFTS HOUSE ARREST LAW TO EASE PRISON POPULATION

Sri Lanka’s government is drafting laws to allow courts to place suspects under house arrest instead of remanding them to ease severe prison overcrowding.

Minister of Justice and National Integration, Harshana Nanayakkara, said that Sri Lanka’s prisons, built to hold about 10,500 inmates, are currently housing nearly 39,000.

He said remand prisoners account for the main problem, noting that about 28,000 inmates are held in remand custody, including around 20,000 detained on drug-related offenses.

The minister said the proposed law would allow courts to impose home detention in suitable cases instead of sending suspects to prison, reducing congestion in the prison system.

Nanayakkara also revealed that Sri Lanka has no structured mechanism to review or reduce sentences for prisoners serving life terms or facing the death penalty.

He added that the government had appointed a committee to study the possibility of introducing a sentence-reduction framework for long-term inmates.

 

DONT MISS THE NEWS-TRAIN SCHEDULED TO TAKE-OFF AGAIN THIS EVENING