STAY GLUED FOR MORE NEWS UPDATES
19th February 2026 10:41 AM ![]()
ARMY TO SCREEN CHILDREN OF FALLEN SOLDIERS FOR EDUCATION SPONSORSHIP
The Nigerian Army has announced a nationwide verification and screening exercise for children of fallen personnel as part of its educational sponsorship programme for the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to a notice posted on the official X handle of the Nigerian Army on Thursday, the exercise will be conducted across the six geopolitical zones between February and March 2026.
The notice said the South-South zone exercise will hold from February 23 to 26, 2026, at the Headquarters, 6 Division, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
For the South-East, verification will take place from February 28 to March 3, 2026, at the Headquarters, 82 Division, Enugu, Enugu State, while the South-West exercise is slated for March 5 to 8, 2026, at the Headquarters, 82 Division, Ibadan, Oyo State.
According to the Army, the North-East screening is scheduled for March 11 to 14, 2026, at the Headquarters, Nigerian Army Armour Corps, Bauchi, Bauchi State. In the North-West, the exercise will be held from March 16 to 20, 2026, at the Headquarters, 1 Division Nigerian Army, Kaduna, Kaduna State.
It said the North Central zone and the Federal Capital Territory exercise will take place from March 23 to 27, 2026, at the Army Headquarters Command Officers’ Mess, Asokoro, Abuja.
The Army urged applicants to come along with all necessary documents for the screening.
For further enquiries, the Army directed members of the public to contact 08169355766.
============================
ICPC DETAINS EL-RUFAI AFTER RELEASE FROM EFCC’S CUSTODY
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, has taken into custody the former governor of Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, over corruption allegations levelled against him.
Local reports have it that the former governor was arrested by the ICPC on Wednesday night shortly after he was released from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, custody.
ICPC Spokesperson, John Odey, confirmed in a statement that the commission on Wednesday night took the former governor into custody for questioning over some allegations.
”Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the commission in connection with investigations.
”ICPC writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai the former governor of Kaduna State is in our custody as at close of work of Wednesday the 18th day of February, 2026,” Odey said.
Recall that EFCC released the former governor Wednesday night on bail after spending two nights in its custody.
El-Rufai had been in the custody of EFCC since Monday, when he honoured the commission’s invitation to respond to corruption allegations levelled against his administration.
============================
LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT SEALS PUBLIC TOILET OVER SEWAGE DISCHARGE, WARNS AGAINST POLLUTION
Lagos State Wastewater Management Office has sealed a public toilet on Savage Street, Ebute Metta, for allegedly discharging raw sewage into a public drain.
Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, disclosed this in a post shared on X on Thursday, stating that the facility was sealed on Wednesday.
According to him, the action followed the deliberate pumping of raw sewage into the public drain resulting into offensive odour and sewage flow within the community.
He said the development constituted a public nuisance, environmental pollution, and posed significant risks to human health.
Wahab urged residents to adopt proper wastewater management and hygiene practices to support public health and promote environmental sustainability.
Recall that Lagos State Government announced that the monthly sanitation exercise, previously observed in the state, may resume by March.
========================
LASEMA CONFIRMS 2 DEAD IN TRUCK CRASH
Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, has confirmed the death of two persons in a truck accident at Cele Bus Stop, inward Mile 2, in Lagos.
The Permanent Secretary of LASEMA, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said the incident involved two 40-foot container trucks.
He said a moving truck rammed into a stationary truck from behind, reportedly due to over-speeding.
Oke-Osanyintolu said the crash resulted in the deaths of the driver of the moving truck and a pedestrian.
According to him, while heavy-duty recovery equipment is being mobilised to the scene.
He added that traffic control measures had been put in place to prevent secondary incidents.
The LASEMA boss said first responders at the scene included the Eagle Response Team and the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA.
He said Super Metro and the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit, SEHMU, were expected to carry out recovery and evacuation operations.
=========================
POLICE CONFIRMS MURDER OF ONDO TRADITIONAL RULER BY GUNMEN
The Police Command in Ondo State says gunmen have killed a traditional ruler, Oba Kehinde Falodun, the Alagamọ of Agamọ community in Akure North Local Government Area of the state.
Ondo State Command’s Spokesperson, Abayomi Jimoh, who confirmed this in a statement made available to reporters on Thursday in Akure, said the incident occurred on Wednesday at about 7:10 p.m.
Jimoh said the information was received by the division at about 7:50 p.m. from a community leader, Ajewole Clement of New Town, Itaogbolu.
He added that the information indicated that approximately six-armed men stormed the residence of the traditional ruler, forcibly took him from his compound, and subsequently fled the scene.
According to him, members of the public with credible and actionable information are urged to report to the nearest police station or contact the command.
=====================================
FEDERAL AIRPORTS AUTHORITY OF NIGERIA BANS CASH TRANSACTIONS FOR REVENUE PAYMENTS EFFECTIVE FEB. 28
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, FAAN, has banned cash transactions for all services nationwide effective February 28, 2026.
This is contained in a statement signed by the Director of Public Relations and Consumer Protection at FAAN, Henry Agbebire on Thursday in Lagos.
FAAN in the statement revealed that the reaffirmation became necessary after executives of the various aviation unions visited the FAAN management to sought clarification on the cessation of cash transactions at airports.
The Managing Director of FAAN, Olubunmi Kuku, emphasised that the transition to a cashless system is not only in line with global best practices in aviation management but also consistent with Federal Government directives.
She added that the directive was aimed at enhancing transparency, accountability, and operational efficiency.
She referenced a Treasury Circular dated November 24, 2025, issued by the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation and signed by the Accountant General, Shamseldeen Ogunjimi.
She noted that the circular mandated the cessation of cash transactions in all government dealings.
Kuku also said that the directive followed approval by the Federal Executive Council for Ministries, Departments and Agencies, MDAs, to discontinue physical cash collections and payments as part of broader public finance reforms.
=======================
ENVOY— PRESIDENT TINUBU’S TÜRKIYE VISIT, A MILESTONE IN NIGERIA-TÜRKIYE RELATIONS
Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Mehmet Poroy, says Türkiye has a special interest in Nigeria because the two countries are confronted with similar existential challenges in the fight against terrorism.
Poroy made this known in an interview with reporters in Abuja, saying both countries have a shared interest in working out effective counterterrorism strategies to tackle terrorism.
The ambassador revealed that Türkiye successfully fought various terrorist organisations over the years, gaining significant experience, which it was now willing to share with Nigeria, alongside its capabilities and resources.
He also noted that Nigeria’s success in the fight against terrorism would be crucial to the stability of the entire West African sub-region, and Africa as a whole.
Meanwhile, Poroy, revealed that President Bola Tinubu’s recent state visit to Ankara, the Turkish capital, from January 27 to 28, 2026, was a milestone in Nigeria-Türkiye relations.
Poroy, also stressed that the visit marked a new era for the deepening of bilateral relations, and also demonstrated the strong will of both countries to further advance relations across different fields.
Poroy said the visit also marked the first bilateral presidential visit from Nigeria to Türkiye in the last nine years, and the first since Türkiye’s President Recep Erdoğan visited Nigeria in 2021.
======================
CANADA REVISES EXPRESS ENTRY IMMIGRATION RULES, ADDS MILITARY ROLE
Canada has announced a comprehensive update to its Express Entry system for 2026, designed to attract highly skilled workers, fill critical labour shortages, and support economic growth.
According to a post obtained from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website, the announcement was made by Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Lena Diab, on Thursday, as part of the government’s International Talent Attraction Strategy.
Diab said the changes aim to restore control and balance, and rebuild confidence in our immigration system, while ensuring newcomers can contribute effectively from day one.
The Minister noted that the government has set clear immigration targets within a measured framework to align with labour market needs, provincial priorities, and Canada’s humanitarian objectives.
According to immigration, the Express Entry system will maintain priority streams for healthcare and social services professionals, including nurse practitioners, pharmacists, dentists, psychologists, and chiropractors. Skilled trades such as carpenters, plumbers, and machinists will also remain eligible, along with STEM occupations like engineers and cybersecurity specialists. French-language proficiency remains a key selection criterion, underscoring the vitality of Francophone communities outside Quebec.
Transport professionals, such as pilots, aircraft mechanics, and inspectors, are critical for trade, supply chains, and economic resilience.
Skilled military recruits, including doctors, nurses, and pilots with job offers from the Canadian Armed Forces, are supporting national defence and the government’s Defence Industrial Strategy.
==========================
EX-SOUTH KOREA LEADER YOON BAGS LIFE IN PRISON FOR INSURRECTION
A South Korean court found ex-president Yoon Yeol guilty of insurrection on Thursday and sentenced him to life in prison.
The court revealed that Yeol’s martial law declaration in December 2024 was a plot to paralyse the National Assembly of the country.
Recall that the ex-president abruptly declared martial law in a televised address in December 2024, saying drastic measures were needed to root out anti-state forces.
Presiding judge Ji Gwi-yeon said Yoon dispatched troops to the assembly building in an effort to silence his political opponents.
Under South Korean law, the charge of leading an insurrection carries three possible sentences: death, life imprisonment with labour, or life imprisonment without labour.
Prosecutors had sought the death penalty, arguing that Yoon committed a grave destruction of constitutional order by mobilising troops to surround parliament and attempting to arrest political opponents during the six-hour crisis.
===========================
SUPER EAGLES LEGEND OLISEH BACKS ARSENAL TO WIN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Super Eagles legend Sunday Oliseh has backed Arsenal to claim the UEFA Champions League title this season, noting that the North London side look more formidable than ever.
Speaking on his programme, Sunday Oliseh’s Global Football Insights, the former midfielder highlighted the tactical supremacy of Mikel Arteta and the Gunners’ defensive stability.
Meanwhile, Arteta’s men are also top of the Premier League standings and in the hunt for both the Carabao Cup and the FA Cup, chasing a historic quadruple.
DONT MISS THE NEWS-TRAIN SCHEDULED TO TAKE-OFF AGAIN THIS EVENING