Court Sentenced A Football Match Official To 18 Months In Prison For Negligence Over A Stadium Crush.
03:19 PM WAT, Thu March 09, 2023
An Indonesian court on Thursday sentenced a football match official to 18 months in prison for negligence over a stadium crush that killed 135 people last year.
Presiding over the case, Judge Abu Achmad Sidqi Amsya, in the city of Surabaya, found the security official, Suko Sutrisno, guilty of negligence and sentenced him to one year in prison.
The judge revealed that the defendant did not understand his job as a security official well, stressing that Sutrisno did not anticipate the chaos because there has never been an emergency situation before.
Judge Abu Achmad Sidqi Amsya , said; "I am sentencing the defendant to a year and a half in prison," presiding judge Abu Achmad Sidqi Amsya told the court in the city of Surabaya.
"The defendant did not anticipate the chaos because there has never been an emergency situation before. The defendant also did not understand his job as a security official well," the judge said.
Similarly, the former director of the company that runs Indonesia's premier league has been named as a suspect and remains under police investigation.
The Police also described the October 1 pitch invasion as a riot and said two officers were killed, but survivors accused the police of using excessive force, as three local police officers have also been charged over the incident and are awaiting verdicts.
On October 1, 2022, a stampede in a football stadium in Malang, East Java, killed 133 people, including more than forty children, as hundreds of people fled for narrow exits, resulting in a stampede that left many suffocated to death.